by David WolfeDavid Wolfe is considered one of the world’s top authorities on natural health, beauty nutrition, herbalism, raw chocolate, and organic superfoods. Through his down-to-earth, simple approach, David teaches that no problem is created without a solution and that we do have the opportunity, right at our fingertips, to make new choices about our lifestyle and take our health back into the power of our own hands. This book was written with raw food enthusiasts in mind. The raw food diet is certainly about beauty: the beauty of nature, the beauty of health, and the beauty of body, mind and soul. By the eating certain foods, we are in fact creating a certain person. We are made from the food we eat, in a very literal sense. The more life force we eat, the more life force we will have in our bodies. The body uses vitamins and minerals to nourish our organs, such as the skin, hair and eyes. Clear, glowing skin, strong nails and bright eyes are all signs of a healthy, well nourished body, and they’re all benefits of a raw food diet. To learn more about raw food read here There are a few key concepts from Eating for Beauty that David considers to be the most important to getting that beautiful glowing skin from the inside out.
- Sulfur: Sulfur has a significant impact on our complexion, hair and how our skin glows. Essentially it is within all of our connective tissue supporting and connecting all of our organs. It has the ability to continuously build and rebuild collagen and keratin which is important for hair, skin and nails to get their shine whilst also playing an important role in driving nutrients into and out of cells, blood sugar regulation, tissue repair and our immune system. Learn more about sulfur here
- Zinc: Zinc promotes cell division, cell repair, cell growth and the production of white blood cells. This mineral is essential for cleansing the liver, repairing tissue and oxygenating the body. A zinc deficiency is directly linked to Acne, hair loss and other skin disorders.
Beauty FoodsBeauty foods are foods that contain high concentrations of the minerals sulfur, silicon, zinc, iron and/or magnesium, David refers to the following as some of the best beautifying foods that you can include in your diet. These foods will have an alkalizing reaction with your body, anti-parasitical effects and contain high levels of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. In the list below you can see some of the top ‘beautifying foods’ recommended by David Wolfe his book Eating for Beauty:
- Coconut Oil – Contains a number of health giving properties including being high in antioxidants, control blood sugar levels, assist the thyroid gland and repair the skin. You can eat it straight, blend into smoothies, use in cooking and on the skin. Learn more about coconut oil here.
- Aloe Vera– Believed to be a food of long-lasting youth and rapid healing. The anti-inflammatory power in acute inflammation is one of it’s best known actions. The gel of the Aloe Vera can be used topically or add to your daily juice.
- Cucumbers – Fantastic for cleansing our bodies. The skins of cucumbers are high in silicon although are often grown with pesticides and waxed in stores so it is best to choose organic.
- Figs – Super high in calcium and other minerals. They are also contain large amounts of fiber and therefore beneficial for our digestive system. They have been described as being the most alkalizing if all dried fruits.
- Hemp Seed – One of the most nutritionally complete foods containing all nine essential amino acids making them exceptionally high in protein whilst also high in omega 3 and 6 fatty acids and minerals. Eat them as a snack, add to a salad or use the hemp oil in your smoothie.
- Macadamia Nuts – Contain high levels of selenium needed to build the body’s most powerful enzyme. The macadamia nut’s overall combination of fatty acids and zinc makes it wonderful skin beautifier.
- Pumpkin Seeds – A wonderful source of B vitamins, many minerals (including zinc), phytonutrients and fatty oils. All of these contributing to their ability to produce clear and glowing skin. They also have anti-parasite properties.
- Turmeric – Considered a restorative food, with strong anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-cancer and anti-microbial characteristics. Well known for its ability to purify blood which is essential for clear skin.